I got lucky stumbling on The 2012 NCLR ALMA Awards ceremony. I swear to GOD, Latinos really get the short end of the stick when it comes to mainstream recognition. When it was 8:58PM, the show got shut down – they said that’s enough Latino recognition time. They even cut Flo Rida’s with Roslyn Sanchez performance short with the credits zooming past my dizzy eye. But alas, I did get to read Eva Longoria’s name in the executive producer credits.
The Latina Susan Lucci, Constance Marie, who’s been nominated for an ALMA five times, finally copped a win for her supporting role in “Switched at Birth.” Marie was so surprised that she said had to confirm with her man to see if she heard what she thought she had heard!
Christina Aguilera received – and well-deserved — Special Achievement Award as “The Voice of a Generation.” The stunning platinum-blonde got a bit choked up, “I sang my first hit song on this stage… this is stage where my career kicked off…”
The late actress, Lupe Ontiveros was given a special remembrance tribute. Ontiveros is famously known for playing a maid over 150 times. But let me tell you, this actress was more than that. In fact, she was an actor’s actor. If you’ve watched “Real Women Have Curves” or “Zoot Suit” you’d know what I mean, she had depth.
Presenters Wilmer Valderrama and America Ferrera made sure to plug the non-profit organization Voto Latino, which was created to empower American Latinos to a better future through voting and activism. They also stressed to VOTE November 2.
LIST OF WINNERS
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA: Special Achievement Award “The Voice of a Generation”
- HENRY DARROW: The NCLR ALMA Ricardo Montalban Lifetime Achievement Award
- CHEECH MARIN: Outstanding Career Achievement Award, Writer
- GIRL IN PROGRESS: Favorite Movie
- PATRICIA RIGGEN: Special Achievement, Director, Girl in Progress
- DIEGO BONETA: Favorite Movie Actor, Rock of Ages
- ZOЁ SALDANA: Favorite Movie Actress – Drama/Adventure, Colombiana
- AUBREY PLAZA: Favorite Movie Actress – Comedy/Musical, Safety Not Guaranteed
- EDGAR RAMIREZ: Favorite Movie Actor – Supporting Role, Wrath of the Titans
- CIERRA RAMIREZ: Favorite Movie Actress – Supporting Role, Girl in Progress
- CHRISTINA AGUILERA: Favorite TV Reality, Variety, or Comedy Personality or Act, “The Voice” (NBC)
- TYLER POSEY: Favorite TV Actor, “Teen Wolf” (MTV)
- LANA PARRILLA: Favorite TV Actress – Drama, “Once Upon a Time” (ABC)
- NAYA RIVERA: Favorite TV Actress – Comedy, “Glee” (FOX)
- CONSTANCE MARIE: Favorite TV Actress – Supporting Role, “Switched at Birth” (ABC Family)
- RICO RODRIGUEZ: Favorite TV Actor – Supporting Role in a Comedy, “Modern Family” (ABC)
- JON HUERTAS: Favorite TV Actor – Supporting Role in a Drama, “Castle” (ABC)
- NAYA RIVERA: Favorite Female Music Artist
- PITBULL: Favorite Male Music Artist
- EL CENTRO DEL PUEBLO: The PepsiCo Adelante ALMA Award